Friday, June 24, 2016

The Machine is (US)ing US


I genuinely enjoyed the beginning of this video; the simplicity of the entire intro really left a mark on me because it smacked me in the face with reality. Starting “Text is linear” with pencil then going into the computer text with “Digital text is different” showed me how different both texts were, especially with writing erasing with pencil and writing and deleting with digital text. Stating that digital text is more adaptable is so true, especially with how I live my life today, with writing notes for class to writing online to friends. Seeing him link words into the one sentence and then cutting and pasting them in a different section of the sentence made me realize how everything connected and fit with one another. For example, when he linked the hypertext with one word to another was interesting because I am just so used to clicking a link without a second thought. I am used to not asking myself, “I clicked on this hyperlink and it brought me somewhere completely different, but how?” Taking a step back and watching him do the hyperlink in front of me reminded me that with everything thing I click/post online, something happens within an entirely different world to make that happen. I also learned that you could view the code of a page by clicking on View Source and reading the script and learning how that page was put together, which also informed me more about how earlier websites were written in HTML.

No comments:

Post a Comment